Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Giving up the control

I love being in control. I have a hard time dealing with a situation when things are out of my hands because I enjoy knowing exactly what I’m walking into. The unknown is a scary place for me.

But trying to be in control and alert of every aspect of my life is exhausting. It takes so much energy, and it’s impossible to legitimately be in control of my life. Yes, I have somewhat control of parts of my life like what I choose to eat for breakfast or who I choose to be friends with, but there are lots of things that are out of my control. 

I recently had a rough week. At the end of it, I felt numb and confused because I realized that I exaggerated my feelings just a bit. I thought about why I was having such a difficult week and then I had an epiphany. I was so worked up about making sure that everything in my life was going smoothly that I just could not keep up with it.  Why couldn’t I keep up with it? Well, I was trying to control and manipulate certain aspects of my life that I honestly had no control over. It was useless worrying. 

I do not want to have control over everything. That’s God’s job. If I was in control, my life would be boring and routine where nothing extraordinary or exciting would ever occur. Giving God command of my life gives Him the opportunity to do vastly more in my life than I could ever imagine if I were in control. 

Surrendering is a hard concept for some of us to grasp. It tends to have a negative connotation nowadays. Surrendering sounds like hoisting the white flag, giving up the battle, and letting the enemy win. But surrendering to God should not be seen as an act of weakness but an act of trust. 

Surrendering to God happens when you allow Him to fight the battle for you and when you let Him work things out. You are giving Him the control in order to do what is necessary for your life. You stop the manipulation of fulfilling your own agenda and allow God to do what he knows is best for your life. And, trust me, He knows what’s best for you.

Psalm 55:22 says “Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.” 

Psalm 50:15 says “And call upon me on the day of trouble, I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” 

And let’s not forget Proverbs 3:5-6” Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will makes your paths straight.”

Glance over at Psalm 50:15 again. The end of the verse says that “you shall glorify me”. We will glorify God and give him thanks because he will “deliver” us. Putting my trust in my own self will only lead to failure because I am not perfect. But God will never fail because he is the definition of perfection. It comes down to having the patience and trust to give God the control. I know it’s hard, but it’s worth it. 

So when you feel like things are spiraling out of your grasp, remember that God will sustain you. Let Him take the lead. It’s worth it.  

-Amanda P.  

No comments:

Post a Comment